Osbaston is a hamlet in the English county of Shropshire. Osbaston forms part of the civil parish of Ercall Magna and the unitary authority of Telford and Wrekin, it lies eleven miles north-west from the centre of Telford.
Tibberton is a village in the borough of Telford and Wrekin and ceremonial county of Shropshire, England.
Edgmond is a village in the borough of Telford and Wrekin and ceremonial county of Shropshire, England. It is located 1 mile north-west of the town of Newport.
Newport is a market town in the borough of Telford and Wrekin and ceremonial county of Shropshire, England. It lies some 6 miles (9.7 km) north of Telford and some 12 miles (19 km) west of Stafford sitting on the Shropshire/Staffordshire border.
Lye is a suburban area of the Dudley Metropolitan Borough, in the West Midlands of England. It was formerly a village within the parish of Oldswinford, historically situated within the boundaries of the county of Worcestershire.
Wootton Wawen is a small village and civil parish in the Stratford-on-Avon district of Warwickshire, England. The village is located on the A3400, 20 miles (32 km) from Birmingham, 2 miles (3.2 km) miles south of Henley-in-Arden and 6.65 miles (10.70 km) miles north of Stratford-upon-Avon.
Aston Cantlow is a village and civil parish in the Stratford district of Warwickshire, England, on the River Alne. It lies 5 miles (8.0 km) north-west of Stratford, and 2 miles (3.2 km) north-east of Wilmcote. The parish stretching across the valley of the Alne includes the villages of Aston Cantlow,Little Alne, Shelfield, and Newnham. The main village, consisting of a single street, lies on the east bank of the stream; and behind the hamlet of Little Alne on the opposite bank, about ¼ mile north-west, the Alne Hills rise to rather over 400 ft (120 m). round the scattered hamlet of Shelfield. The valley is bounded on the east and south by a line of low hills, partly wooded, which divide it from the Avon.
Bearley. Warwickshire. England
Bearley. Warwickshire. England
Bearley is a village and civil parish in the Stratford district of Warwickshire, England. The village is about five miles (8 km) north of Stratford-upon-Avon, bounded on the north by Wootton Wawen, on the east by Snitterfield, and on the south and west by Aston Cantlow. The western boundary is formed by a stream running out of Edstone Lake; it would seem that the land, now part of Edstone in Wootton Wawen, between the stream where it flows west from the lake and the road running east from Bearley Cross, was originally included in Bearley. The land within the parish rises gradually from a height of 216 ft (66 m). in the north-west at Bearley Cross to about 370 ft (110 m). at the south-east corner of the parish, and is open except along its eastern boundary, where part of the extensive wood known as Snitterfield Bushes is included in Bearley.
Lillington is an area of the town of Leamington Spa in Warwickshire, England. Lillington was formerly a village which existed before the time of the Domesday Book (1086), until it was subsumed into Leamington Spa, the parish being incorporated into that borough in 1890.
Eckington is a town in North East Derbyshire, 7 miles (11 km) northeast of Chesterfield and 8.5 miles (14 km) southeast of Sheffield on the border with South Yorkshire. It lies on the B6052 and B6056 roads close to the A6135 for Sheffield and Junction 30 of the M1. It has a population of 11,152.
Killamarsh is a town in North East Derbyshire. It borders South Yorkshire to its north and west. It lies between Halfway and Mosborough to the west, Eckington and Renishaw to the south, Beighton and Sothall to the northwest, Wales to the northeast, Harthill to its east and the Rother Valley Country Park to its north.
Killamarsh was mentioned in the Domesday Book with the name Chinewoldemaresc or Chinewolde meaning "Cynewalds Marsh". There are a number of smaller communities within the town Norwood, Nethergreen, Westthorpe and Upperthorpe surround the main town centre.
Harthill is a village in the Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham (part of South Yorkshire, England), on the border with Derbyshire. It lies between Killamarsh and Thorpe Salvin, at an elevation of around 110 metres above sea level. In the 2001 census, the civil parish of Harthill with Woodall had a population of 1,909.
Harthill is traditionally an agricultural village, although there is also a history of quarrying whetstones for use in knife-sharpening.
The parish church of All Hallows dates from 1085, when it was commissioned by William de Warenne. The tower is 14th century. Thomas Osborne, 4th Duke of Leeds, a major landowner is interred in the crypt.
Harthill has two public houses: the Beehive and the Blue Bell.
Harthill is the principal village in the civil parish of Harthill with Woodall. The parish also contains Harthill Reservoir which feeds the Chesterfield Canal, Nor Wood, and the hamlet of Woodall with its M1 motorway service station.
Leinthall Starkes is a village and civil parish in north-western Herefordshire, England. It is about 7 miles south-west of Ludlow.
Orleton is a village in northern Herefordshire, England, about 7 km north of Leominster.
The village is known for its parish church, St George's, where, legend holds, the resurrection of the dead will begin at the Last Trump. Items of interest in the church include:
- a twelfth-century font, characteristic of the Herefordshire school of Norman carving
- a Jacobean pulpit
- a clock dating from about 1700
- a Norman carving of a dragon, later used as a clock weight
- two thirteenth-century dug-out chests
Leominster is a market town in Herefordshire, England, and is located at the confluence of the River Lugg and its tributary the River Kenwater, approximately 12 miles (19 km) north of the city of Hereford and 11 miles (18 km) south of Ludlow. With a population of approximately 11,000 people, it is the largest of the five towns in the county that surround the City of Hereford.
Birchinlee is the site of "Tin Town", a village built by the Derwent Valley Water Board for the workers (and their families) who constructed the Derwent and Howden Dams between 1902 and 1916. Most of the workers had previously been engaged in the construction, in Wales, of the Elan Valley Reservoirs where the accommodation was very basic. At Birchinlee, a "model village" was built; its infrastructure included hospitals, school, canteen (pub), post office, shops, recreation hall, public bath house, police station, railway station, and rubbish dump with incinerator. Accommodation consisted of workmen's huts, foremen's huts and married workmen's huts. The latter were decorated to a high standard, as photographs from the period confirm. The population rose to 900 people.
Remnants of "Tin Town" can still be seen when walking to the west of Derwent Reservoir. The former railway track is now a footpath.
Stocksbridge is a small town and civil parish in the City of Sheffield, in South Yorkshire, England, with a population of 13,663. It lies just to the east of the Peak District.
The town is located in the steep-sided valley of the Little Don River, below the Underbank Reservoir.
Thurlstone is a village near Penistone in the metropolitan borough of Barnsley in South Yorkshire, England. Originally it was a small farming community. Some industries developed using water power from the River Don (corn milling, wire drawing and various wool/cloth processes). Most of these are now gone. The village is now a dormitory for the urban areas of South and West Yorkshire.
Its name is believed to be of Anglo-Saxon origin, referring to the god Thunor.
Thurgoland is a village and civil parish in the Metropolitan Borough of Barnsley in South Yorkshire, England. According to the 2001 census the parish had a population of 1,801. The village has one primary school, the Holy Trinity (Church of England) and a Methodist Chapel. There are four public houses: The Monkey, The Horse & Jockey, The Green Dragon and The Bridge Inn. There is a recreational ground at the centre of the village, by the village hall and the youth centre. Thurgoland Junior School is ranked second in the local league table.
The earliest known written record of Thurgoland is Domesday book of 1086, in which it is referred to as Turgesland. The name is of Old Norse origin and may mean 'Cultivated land of a man called Thorgeirr'. Other sources claim derivation from the Saxon ‘The fee farm in the Ga of Thor’ – meaning the rented farm on the land named in honour of the god Thor.
Hepworth, Yorkshire, England
Hepworth, Yorkshire, England
Hepworth is a small village to the southeast of Holmfirth and southwest of Jackson Bridge in West Yorkshire, England. It is in the metropolitan borough of Kirklees and the parish of Holme Valley.